Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Battle Within: Becoming Comfortable in Your Own Skin


You check out of a supermarket, what do you see? Magazines on the rack with headlines reading how to "Lose 10 lbs in 10 days." You plop on the couch after a long day at work/school and start flipping through channels on tv and what do you see? Top ten "Sexiest bodies." Perhaps an infomercials trying to sell fitness DVDs or your favorite celebrities with rock hards abs. We are constantly surrounded by images of what media portrays of the way "hot" bodies should look like; leaving us to think, even if its just jokingly, "Lucky SOB. I wish I looked like that. "  

In high school I always heard of the freshmen 15, but never really thought much of it. That is, until I had gained the 15 lbs freshmen year in college. Throughout the duration of my college years I went to the gym and ate somewhat healthier and I was able to bounce back to my original weight when I had entered freshmen year with ease. 

It wasn't until after college and after my mom had commented on my weight, that I noticed that my metabolism had gone berserk. My clothes were tighter and I just didn't feel healthy anymore. So I decided to go on a diet.I was shocked and even more-so irritated by the fact that the weight was not coming off as easily as it once had. Feeling frustrated as to why it was a lot harder to melt off the weight, I analyzed what foods I was intaking, I cut back on my food portions and started exercising. Although it was hard to slim back down as fast as I could once, I finally did it! But the road was not easy! What did I learn from all this? Well, for starters,  I'm older and my body no longer works the same as it used it. I have to watch what I eat (you are what you eat!) and exercise (yes, complain all you want, but it is really good for your body). Long gone are those years where I was able to eat Taco Bell at 2 am after going out with friends! Now my conversations consist of healthy diets (nutritious foods), new exercise regiments and my favorite back pain management. Oh how times change.  

So besides me growing old, what's the point of all this gibberish? 

Its to be careful during this transition stage. When you look in the mirror, what do you see? Is your body image positive or negative? If your answer is negative, you are not alone. Many of us, both women and men are under pressure to measure up to a certain social and cultural ideal of beauty, which can lead to poor body image. When you are unhappy with your body can it affect how you think and feel about yourself as a person. A poor body image can lead to emotional distress, low self-esteem, unhealthy dieting habits, anxiety, depression, and eating disorders. Developing a positive body image and a healthy mental attitude is crucial for anyone's happiness and wellness. Although the media does play a huge role in the distortion of our bodies, our family, friends, and even physicians also contribute to this, with their positive or negative comments. So be careful what you to say to people or in front of people. You never know who might take offense. 

So how can you start changing you body image from negative to positive?  Learn to love yourself when you look in the mirror (go ahead and say yeahhhhh..... I look damn good). And also remember that a healthy body is not always linked to appearance. In fact, a healthy bodies comes in all different forms! Changing your body image means changing the way you think about your body. But  also remember that healthy lifestyle choices is key to a positive body image. Eating healthier will promote healthier looking skin and hair. Regular exercise will boost your energy levels. And of course, sleep! Your body needs a good nights rest! 


In the end, be patient and don't be hard on yourself. It doesn't matter what others think of you, but what you think of yourself. You have to be comfortable in your own skin.  Remember we all end up looking a like a raisin. 

:0)

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha, this is so true! I miss walking to the gym with you and then deciding we'd rather have Taco bell, lol. Yay for healthy eating and working out now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I've been walking ~3 miles to work at least 4 times a week and spend an hour on Saturdays at the Jui Jit Su gym. Needless to say, I've lost a lot of weight. (I know I know, it should really be the opposite for me or else I'll be the size of a pea) but in actuality, I've been taking the worst care of my body: extremely bad eating habits which cause me to be more tired than necessary, especially at work. I rarely get a good nights sleep these days. A healthy breakfast occurs on the occasion or else it's Dunkin Donuts on my way to work.

    My Question: How do you think my body will react if I started taking iron tablets in relation to my energy level?

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/the-10-healthiest-ethnic-cuisines-2392589/

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20101003/sc_livescience/obesebuthealthygrayareaconfoundsscience

    ReplyDelete